Tuesday 2 June 2015

Learning from Technic Models

Like most kids I always looked forward to Christmas and my birthday and was even happier when a rectangular boxed present would appear as it usually meant I was about to score a brand new Lego model to build (8854 was a particular favourite).   Twenty five years later my answer to family and friends questions about things I would like usually involves more Lego (you can never have to much Lego!).

However, when I look back at those models I don't think I fully got the educational benefit of them at the time.  It was always a race to get the model built so I could play with it and I didn't really take the time to look at what the pieces were doing in the model.

Now when I build a model I try and ask myself "what is this piece actually for?" Is it going to be part of the steering, the crane or the tip truck.  Is this beam going to provide a brace for something, why does it have only two pins and not six.  Sometimes the questions can't be answered until the model is finished, and sometimes I get more from by pulling the already completed model apart.  Over the last week I've slowly deconstructed set 9395 Tow Truck  and currently have the chassis sitting half built on my desk.  This model had a driving ring for a clutch gear which I've often wondered about, by pulling it apart I've seen how the Lego designers used it and have subsequently built a working example of one to share with students.


Chassis from 9395 Tow Truck
Driving ring and shifter to change between two gears.

I know this is not an easy concept for students, but sometimes building and pulling apart a model is a great way to learn. Provided the builder has an open mindset and thinks about the model is doing and not just competing in a race to finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment